Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Last of the Bakersfield Posts

So this post wraps up our wonderful time in Bakersfield. I know that it has been over a month since we were there, but better late than never, right?!?

On our last weekend in town we got to watch my brother Willie play football in the Army Arena Bowl.  We got to the venue before the doors opened, but outside they had a rock wall/recruiting station for the army.  Mario volunteered to climb the wall and had a blast doing it. 
  Afterwards he got recruited to be in the army.  I think it was his climbing skills and overall athletic body that intrigued the officer.  Mario kindly declined and soon after the doors opened and we were in.  It was actually a pretty boring game for the first part.  Then, all of a sudden Willie was in the end zone catching a touchdown pass. What in the world?!?  He barely ever touched the football his whole high school career and there he was, making a touchdown!  We were super excited and when they announced his name over the loud speaker you better believe we were screaming!  It turned out to be a fun night after all! 

Our last week in Bakersfield was spent with my beautiful niece and nephew.  My brother-in-law, Tim, had back surgery and it just happened to fall during the time we were there.  Okay, it didn’t just happen to fall at that time but God’s timing is perfect and it worked out perfectly!  We loved being “parents” for a few days.  The kids are so well behaved that it was really such an easy job.  It also gave Nathan and Mario more bonding time, which I thought was completely adorable.  Here are some pictures of Nate and Mario. 

Like any good aunt, I let the kids talk me into letting them stay up for 10 minutes past their bedtime for a tradeoff of them playing with my hair.  Supposedly it is what their mom does so who was I to turn them down? 

We also got to go to AWANAS at Rosedale Bible with the kids on what happened to be the great Rain Gutter Regatta.  Mario helped Elisabeth with her boat, which one 3rd place for craftsmanship!  Mario and I also got to share with the kids about missions so it was a great night had by all! 

Nathan drew these pictures of us on one of our last days in Bakersfield.  If that little boy doesn’t know how to bring a tear to my eye and put a smile on my face at the same time I don’t know who does!


Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment