Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hello, Guatemala

I wrote this when I first got here and am just now able to post it because we just got internet. The internet is really slow as well, so I will try to get pictures up soon!!!


Well I have arrived and actually had a great trip. I was worried that the start of my day might be not so good because of having to pay extra for my luggage, but thankfully I have a wonderful sister Becky and best friend Layne who are expert packers and they got me through the luggage check-in without having to pay an extra cent!!

I got on my first flight and was pleased with my window seat and had plans to sleep, read, and relax the whole way. God had other plans for me, though, and in fact my mission trip had begun…

A smiling girl, probably around my age, sat down right next to me and I was glad about that. We started small talk and I found out that she was from Palmdale but was living in Cancun doing missions. We kept talking and she revealed that she is actually a Jehovah’s Witness. Now when these people come to your house it is one thing because you can just say no thanks and kindly shut the door, but when they are seated next to you on a 4 hour flight it is kind of hard to ignore them. So we talked and it was actually really neat for me because I asked her about what she believed and got to share what I believed and although neither one of us came out converted I at least got some practice sharing the gospel and talking about what I believe and why.

After having a layover and going through customs in Mexico City I was on my second flight to Guatemala. I got off, got ALL my luggage and found the people from YWAM who were picking me up. Then we came to the “base” that is actually two houses very close to downtown Guatemala City. The houses are awesome and I am excited to be living here! I will be sharing a room with five other girls- two from Germany, one from Canada, one from the United States, and one from Mexico. We have ten people in our school altogether. Everything around this town seems to be alive with people, music and even a wake up call at 4 a.m. from a rooster down the street! I can’t wait to experience Guatemala to its fullest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment