Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories

Today is Thanksgiving and through the years I have had many Thanksgiving memories. I remember the time that my family drove to Colorado to celebrate in the snow with my cousins, aunt, uncle, and great aunt and uncle. I remember the time our family wasn't invited to the beach by my great aunt and uncle, even though the rest of the family always was(which was the case every year for Thanksgiving) but went anyway to celebrate, and ended up sitting in the living room by ourselves because there was not "enough room" in the dinning room with the rest of the family. I remember the year that we rented a cabin in Big Bear and had a great time with family. I remember in Kindergarten when we got to have our feast and make Indian and Pilgrim costumes.

I love being able to bring traditions from my younger years into my adulthood. I LOVED being able to influence the memories of my students the two years I taught. Here is a picture of my first class, in 2007, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
Notice the copycat Pilgrims on the wall? The pattern I used to guide the students is the same pattern I used when I was in school!

I also think about my Thanksgiving last year. I was on outreach for my DTS in a town called Tecpan. We all celebrated, with our newly found family. We ate carne asada, black beans, and tortillas but I managed to keep the turkey tradition through some good old homemade decorations and a few decorations that my mama sent from home.


Thanksgiving 2009 with my DTS family

The reason I am so nostalgic is because this year is VERY different. It is my first year to really be away from home- sure last year I was away, but it was more of an adventure than a real life situation. It is also different because the SST school, and most of our staff are not here at the base, which means I am pretty much alone. No turkey. No apple pie. No Thanksgiving Day Parade. No family.

I am trying to keep positive, though, and remember all the times God has been faithful in the past. I know that this nostalgia is just a feeling, and that it too will pass when I start to create my own new traditions and memories here in Guatemala. So basically what I want to say to you is... Enjoy your Thanksgiving and remember all those great memories and the times that God has been faithful... Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment