Thursday, November 29, 2012

K.I.T.

K.I.T... That means Keep In Touch for those of you who didn't buy and sign yearbooks in the '90s.  There are two categories of people, in my opinion, when it comes to keeping in touch.  The first category are those who are so great about keeping in touch that they can live miles away from you and you feel like they are your next door neighbor because they are always keeping in touch somehow.  The second category are those I like to call out of sight out of minders.  Those are the people who love people dearly, but tend to focus their attention on the people who are physically present in their lives at the time. 

I, unfortunately, fall under the second category.  I am finding this out more and more the longer I am away from "home".  I grew up with some of the very best friends that anyone could honestly ask for, and to this day I still call them my best friends, but if you ask me how long it has been since I have talked to them I would be ashamed to tell you the answer.  Like I said before, it is not that I don't think about them, pray for them, and even talk about them with the people here, but it is just hard for me to keep in touch with them.  I think part of it is because life gets the best of me and the fact that I am in a pretty busy season right now.  I think the other part of it is that it is a coping mechanism.  It is hard to be away from friends and family for an extended period of time, and I think that one of the ways I deal with it is to kind of disconnect myself from them so as not to remember how much I miss them.  This is not necessarily healthy, but it is what I do.  That doesn't mean that I am going to just accept that I am this way and not try to grow and change to become better.  It just means that I know this is how I am right now, and knowing is half the battle, right?

Thankfully I have people in my life who love me and when I DO actually pick up the phone (or push the video call on skype) and call them, they answer and we can pick up right where we left off.  God knows exactly who I need in my life and I am so thankful to have friends like I do.  Here is a picture of these friends that I am so thankful for and whom I miss dearly on a regular basis.
So, now that I have confessed and recognized my fault, it is now my goal to become better at keeping in touch on a more regular basis.  If you want to KIT with me, you can hit up my email or facebook and we can work on our communication skills together!

Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment