Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

DISCLAIMER: THERE  ARE NO PHOTOS YET BUT I PROMISE TO PUT SOME ON AS SOON AS I GET THEM...

This is the first post from the new Mrs. Martinez!  I can't believe I have a husband much less a new last name!  So much excitement going on around here, I thought I would share some of the joy with you.

My mom and dad got here on the Saturday before the wedding and it was a good thing because we were running around ALL week long getting final details taken care of for the wedding and also painting and decorating our soon to be room.  I am so excited about the room- I just love it!  I will show pictures in a soon following post so that you can see how wonderful it is.  After the week we were all pretty tired, but thankfully we got a breath of fresh air on Friday morning when two of my favorite people in the world got off the airplane in Guatemala City.  That is right, Mikayla and Carol Feil were here in full force ready for the weekend!  It was just the shot of life that we needed to have them there so we ate breakfast at McDonald's, quickly packed and headed 2 hours away to the beautiful Puerto San Jose for the weekend. 

When we got to the house where we would be staying (which was also the wedding location and PERFECT if I do say so myself!) we looked around , enjoyed the beach (which was in the back yard) and rested for the afternoon while Mario aka Super Groom, drove the 2 hours back to the city to bring some of his family members who were arriving from Livingston.  Friday night was pretty calm, but we needed it.  We went out to eat at Pollo Campero and then hit up the grocery store for a few snacks and breakfast items.  We took a quick dip in the pool and called it a night since we knew we would have a big day ahead.

Saturday started out quite calmly as we ate our breakfast of eggs and black beans and lounged around for a little bit.  The chairs and tables showed up before long and it was showtime.  We had lots of help decorating from some amazing friends and things got done really quickly.  Holes were drilled in coconuts for the centerpieces, lanterns were hung, chairs and tables were set up and we even had time to relax a little bit before it was time to start getting ready.  Well everyone except Mario, that is, because he was running around getting things up until the last minute which once again wins him the title of Super Groom.  I went up to the room that I was going to get ready in and started to do my makeup.  I am not going to lie, it felt really weird getting ready without my girls Erin, Denise and Layne by my side, and I even had a moment where I teared up a bit before I pulled myself together and finished getting ready.  Next up was my friend from Puerto San Jose, Wendy the hairdresser.  She and I had a practice session the week before and I loved what she did so I was super excited when she arrived.  Then after I got my hair done, I put my dress on.  Magical.  That is all I have to say about that.  Then as I was waiting in the room, people started arriving and although I should have been a nervous wreck, I was completely calm as I watched them walk by from my second story window.  Then, at 4:30 (the wedding was supposed to start at 4 but as much as I tried we were still functioning on Guatemala time) it began to rain a little bit so Super Groom rallied the guests together and they moved all the chairs from the outside to the tables under the palm leave covered area aka plan b.  It didn't really matter to me at that point, all I wanted was my soon to be mother-in-law to be ready (she was taking more time than I did to get dressed) and for the show to get on the road. 

It was not long before they told me to come out of hiding and then I heard the wonderful sound of Ode to Joy play and I knew it was my turn to walk down the isle.  It was beautiful.  It didn't matter that it was raining or that the isle was not big enough to accommodate me, my dress, my mom and my dad. It didn't matter that I couldn't find Mario right away because the set up of plan B made it so that he was hidden behind a crowd of guests.  Nothing mattered except for the fact that I was about to marry the man of my dreams.  It was an amazing ceremony with communion and a black and white sand ceremony.  I couldn't stop staring and the gorgeous man in the handsome white suite with the beaming smile on his face standing in front of me.  We were pronounced husband and wife, we kissed, and then Michael Jackson sang us down the isle with his famous and fitting tune of "Black or White".

After a whirlwind photo session, typical food from Livingston that we didn't even eat, cake that we got one bite of, lots of hugs and kisses from the 100 plus guests, and a bouquet toss that ended up closer to the basketball hoop than the crowd of single women, the night was coming to an end.  What a beautiful day!  I can't imagine not having Mario Romaldo Martinez Blanco in my life and I am getting used to the fact that I am now Mrs. Susan Irene Martinez Fidler!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah - Congratulations, Mrs. Martinez! I saw some of the pictures last night on my blackberry (pretty small and hard to see) but what I could see looked pretty and looked like a fun celebration! Looking forward to seeing you -- we'll be there in just FOUR MORE DAYS! Now I have to ask -- WHY ARE YOU BLOGGING ON YOUR HONEYMOON???? :)

    ReplyDelete